Published on PlayStation on May 30th, 2017, by the Russian Gaijin Entertainment gaming company Crossout is a free-to-play vehicular combat video game. Developed by Targem Games, also based in Rusia, the game can be found also on Windows, and Xbox One. It has an online multiplayer (you will need a PlayStation Plus membership), but it doesn’t support cross-platform play.
I have discovered it on the PlayStation Store during the time I was trying to get back from it all my games (and progress files from the clouds). I decided to give it a try using a controller and playing on TV, not on a monitor with a keyboard and mouse, as usual. It was quite fun, and when I came back on my desk, I didn’t felt too much difference with a keyboard and mouse. I think I did better with a controller.
You will notice a resemblance with the Mad Max universe, as the action is placed into a post-apocalyptic setting after a nuclear war ruled by different factions. Focused around the construction and upgrades of the player’s vehicles, Crossover allows players to use them in both PvP and PvE engagements. Here are 6 minutes of look and feel, edited using an entire hour of footage, the first hour I had in the game.
During my gameplay, I was able to upgrade my car with an extra gun, a good thing in every game. 🙂 One funny thing I have noticed was that the cars I hit lost parts of their bodies before blowing up, as a direct result of spending too many bullets in it. It gives you an arcade sense of play, but the overall feeling is that Crossout is one of the games where the chaos is the only order. You’ve been warned. 🙂
On a serious matter…
The action of the game takes place in the year 2047 on the ruins of civilization, which was almost wiped out by a mysterious viral epidemic known as the ‘Crossout’. Only a few Survivors are left and they have to dive in fierce battles for resources. Their armored vehicles, crafted out of everything found on the fields of the post-apocalyptic world, will be their main weapon. Hundreds of parts and a lot of their combinations will allow creating the most unbelievable iron monsters!
• Unique vehicles, crafted by players using a wide range of available parts: from nimble buggies to heavily tracked off-road vehicles and even combat walkers.
• Complete freedom of creativity and thousands of possible combinations: Create vehicles of any shape using a wide range of parts, with a wide variety of armour and weapons to help support your arsenal.
• Advanced damage model: destroy any part of an enemy vehicle and it will affect the machine’s performance immediately.
• A huge arsenal of weapons: From chainsaws to power-drills, machine guns to rocket launchers, and a wide range of variety including flying drones and stealth generators.
• Your own workshop: create new and advanced parts, and auction them at the in-game marketplace.
• Trading options between players: every piece that you have gathered in battle can be sold to other players.
• Choose your own battle strategy: Apart from victory, the only thing that matters is your Survival!
Wow, that’s something, isn’t it? Do you like it? Do you have it already? If not, here is again the PlayStation Store link (free download). Please do use the comment section below and tell me what do you think about Crossout. Don’t be a stranger and let’s make this blog a better one! 🙂
Free Game of the Week is a dedicated section of this blog where I will publish a game that you can download for free on PlayStation 4. Please note that for online multiplayer you will still need a PlayStation Plus membership in order to play it.